Saturday, March 3, 2012

Streaming Consciousness While Falling Asleep Drunk


You were home,
You were the place of rest,
You and you alone,
Were where I loved best.
But what use is a home,
When the mortgage is your sanity?
And only one of you,
Is allowed to live there happily?
Dreamgirls can become nightmares,
When they believe themselves to be,
Greater than any dream,
Ever was and will ever be.
Certainly greater than any dream,
Dreamed by a fool like me.
You wanted the world didn't you?
Laid out at your pretty sandaled feet.
You wanted every little portion of me,
Served up to you at every feast.
For you to say this is missing salt,
And that hasn't been cooked right.
You wanted me to stay up and
Make sure you slept alright, all night.
And I did it all.  With a smile.
I baptized myself in the pools of you hair,
I built a temple on every little rock,
You ever rested on.  Anywhere.
But I learned my lesson, finally.
I'm amused it took me so long.
Learn to love the singer,
Never love the songs.
Never paint your lover in colors,
They haven't ever seen.
Love them for who they are,
Not how they appear in your dreams.
So this it I guess.  Closing time.
All that's left of us is being swept off the bar.
Forgive me I don't watch you,
Get into another man's car.
Excuse me please. Just one more drink.
Could you make it strong,
I don't need to think, tonight.
It's just you and me.  Love is long gone.
Take my heart, oh take my storm.
Lay me down in clean sheets of linen.
Kiss me once upon my brow,
Tell me my foolishness has been forgiven.
I must turn away from her I know.
Facing her makes me face too much sorrow.
I'll turn my gaze inwards and be 
Happy today.  Happier tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment