Friday, December 30, 2011

Home for the Winter


I sit upon my verandah,
And hear Ambika sing to the night.
She thinks no one is listening, so she sings
Offkey and joyful, under laughing starlight.
I see Akriti smile.  I see beneath her smile.
I see her force her demons to their knees,
And watch her dance, hear her giggle,
And say "I love you," like one who believes.
I see my parents smile at each other,
Through the flickering of the winter fire.
I feel my father's hands rough but gentle on my face,
I hear my mother and her kitchen choir.
I sit at that round green granite table,
With light coming in from the south and east.
And I eat the food I've loved for years.
Feel my wanderer's heart be at peace.
There is magic here in this forest,
Beside this Lake where I'm never alone.
Where an old champa tree whispers,
Welcome home, child, welcome home.
I dance with the Lake tonight,
Under the light of the crescent Moon.
I hear the Winter laugh and tell me,
"You'll love again, boy.  And soon."
The Goddess comes to me there,
While we dance under gulmohar trees.
She tells me to learn what love really is,
From this Lake who'll never reach the seas.

3 comments:

  1. Its profoundness moved me to tears. A hauntingly beautiful piece of pure soulful writing. My love to the Lake, the old champa trees and the Winter. Have a wonderful year ahead. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful mounatain...happy new year, may it be bright,full of love,poems and laughter...biggest hugest hug from pixie of suburbia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem has been woven with love, care and affection that only a family can provide. May this happiness and love always prevail in your life ahead.

    ReplyDelete