Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Loss of Absence

I'm thinking of someone
Who was never there.
It's strange to say, but
There will be no change
In the routines of my days.
You were never around.
And now you won't ever be.
I'll have to find someone new
To hang this bit of anger on.
Now that you're done
Playing that role for me.
Maybe that's how we know,
We've finally grown up.
When new knives cut,
Into old wounds.
I'm thinking of a man,
I never knew.
Except as someone everyone
else seemed to know well.
And never failed to tell me so.
There is no feeling of loss.
Except a curious absence
Of absence itself.

I'm thinking of my
fatherless father.
And the grief he
cannot show.
Someone has to be
the patriarch now,
In this family of
Petulant children.
I'm thinking of a funeral
I cannot attend.
I'm thinking of the pyre
and the smoke. And the red
Eyed faces all around.
But mostly I'm thinking of him.
Alone on a hospital bed,
An old servant his only friend.

I'm thinking of the silly words
He would always say to me,
And the love I always saw
Shining in his eyes.
He's burning now,
Surrounded by important people,
Discussing tomorrow's agenda.
And family members
Discussing divisions and shares.
And the people who loved him
Standing behind all the security.
Unable to come close to him.
Because they were never
Important enough.

I'm thinking of you Papa.
Wrapped in stillness,
And the deep cleft in your
brow,
Like the tilak of a holy man.
I'm thinking of you
Watching the Old Man.
Walk up a staircase of smoke.
Into the clear blue sky.
Let him finally know rest,
Alone.

5 comments:

  1. this is one of your most vulnerable,honest and best ones.Very sad and very stunningly written-sitting in a pool of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are born alone, we die alone.
    Some people were meant to walk the path only so far with us. Grief and disappointment are temporary feelings. You are Arunoday, the first ray of dawn in the lives of each one who loves you, so how can happiness elude you for long. Hang in there, something wonderful comes your way, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When something is written straight from the heart it is always beautiful... no adjective can do justice to its beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ‘All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.’-The five people you meet in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. painfully honest and touching...

    ReplyDelete