Sunday, April 22, 2012

I Dream of Flying


I sat on the edge of things,
Above the city, alone.
Just the wind and I.
An eagle came to me there.
He called me his brother,
And wondered why I didn't fly?
I told him I was just a man,
And for all my desperate desire,
I wasn't made for the sky.
He spread his wings and laughed,
Like a father at a child.
And asked if I'd even tried.
I asked him not to mock me,
With the memory of a thousand skies,
Lighting the shadows of his eyes.
While I struggle here over my poems,
Trying to change all the sad truths,
Even poets can't deny.
But my brother, the eagle,
Smiled and clicked his beak,
Spread his wings out wide.
He threw himself into the air,
Screamed in joy at the breeze,
Spun away into a dive.
I put down my words,
All my daily cares,
And nightly worries set aside.
I cast away my skin,
Unshackled my eager spirit,
And leapt after my brother,
To dance beneath this orange sky.

2 comments:

  1. Eagles, canines, moths, champa trees... listening to them all... Picking up and tracing that sacred thread that binds together all souls. Might help us comprehend a little more of what our existence really requires of us. :)
    I'd love to take the leap sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often watch the eagle fly... gliding around in circles... majestic wings spread wide... flapping just so rare... just love that bird... your poem has done justice to it... well written... wish I could leap that way...

    ReplyDelete