Saturday, November 12, 2011

Listening to Murdoch and Dylan and Cohen



So tonight
I wrote this song for you
And I sang it quiet
And I sang it low
The closer I wanted to come
Was every step I took away
And every smile tonight
Struggles to me from afar
You think no one understands
Like I don't understand this guitar
But I'm going to take lessons
And learn six flamenco chords
To set every poem to
And these poems won't be for you
Most of the time
Maybe you should cry
A little
Maybe you should try
A little harder
Maybe I should shake my head
and swear this is the last song
I write for you
Except the ones
I won't admit are
So I'm trying to put it right
So I can love you with my heart
But all this trying has twisted
Me tight
Maybe I should walk away
Maybe that's a start
I'm so tired
But I can't sleep
More than my usual four hours
I try to find a voice
That doesn't leave these poems
Like shadows of you
I try to find a voice
That's entirely mine
I want to write the heart songs
For the dreamers like me
But you don't really care for music
Do ya?
Whatever else you may have thought
I only did what I was taught
And even though it all went wrong
And I'll never see the Lord of Song
I sang it once, my imperfect little

Hallelujah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment