Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Feels Like High School Again

Tonight let this be
The kiss I couldn't give you.
The midnight drive across the sea.
And your hair whipping free,
The banner of the Happy Few.
Tonight I burn hotter
Than the oldest fires.
Because I burn without you.
I'm a runaway slave
Heading to your Africa.
Over the limits of my flesh,
The boundaries of my fear,
Over the edge of your desire.

Tonight let this be.
The stripping away
Of another of my defenses.
The thousand poems kissed silent
And left happily incomplete.
I was a stone rolling,
That you startled to a stop.
You are my lonely river,
You are my mountain top.
You are my book of Psalms and
The broken voice I use,
As I raise my tired arms and
Send my spirit gusting higher.
You turned into shelter
The insides of my every cage.
A thought of you is enough
To fill my every empty page.

I've lived a countless times,
I'm sure, and only now
Do I begin to glimpse the truth.
I was this comet of possibilities,
Collapsing upon this very moment,
Of me missing you.

1 comment:

  1. The kind of desire that bleeds on account of it's vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete