Monday, January 17, 2011

Beautiful

I'm wondering why
I keep pushing you away.
Be patient, love.
It could be love.
You found the key
To the vault in my chest.
You freed all the doves
I caged and oppressed.
You made yourself at home
in the quiet heart of me.
I was unprepared for the
Miracle you turned out to be.
That's why you're beautiful.

I offer nothing but tears,
And a laugh now and then.
I use you as nothing more
than ink to fill in my pen.
I beguile you with moments
wrapped in silver and promises
chased with gold. Even then
With permanent tenderness,
Working quiet as a gardener
You ignore every one.
You bring the wood of my soul
Out into the morning sun.
That's why you're beautiful.

There's magic that remains,
On the dark side of the moon,
It's just that you're a symphony
And I can't seem to hold a tune.
Tie this wanderer down, love,
Just lift your hair away from your neck.
Take my faithless fingers,
In pilgrimage across your flesh.
I won't exchange the gift
You want to give me.
I never wanted to hurt you. But I did
and I will. And still you'll forgive me
That's why you're beautiful.

You were out walking the day
My legs gave way and I sat,
By the bench near the bay.
You didn't have to smile
when I looked up to pray.
But you did.
And that's why you're beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. every version of this has been beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful is the heart that writes beautifully like this :)

    ReplyDelete