Friday, July 22, 2011

Nina Simone does This to Me

I hear the music in the bottles,
Smokey laughter in the air.
You're ever in the farthest corner,
Anywhere but near my chair.
Love me just a little tonight,
Before I set fire to my pride.
Look at me quickly and look away.
Like you look at me from the bedside.
I roll myself another cigarette.
And swallow another burning sip.
I'm tired of loneliness and smoking,
But I'm too tired to quit.
This city wants to eat me,
I feel it gnawing even now.
And there you are, ignoring me.
I don't know what to say. Or how.
I'm half the man I used to be.
You're twice the woman I remember.
Stop telling me you love me.
As you're leaving until December.

It comes to me like a panic,
I love you more than I'm capable of.
And it's tearing me apart, Darling,
But you've made sure I cannot stop.
There's a river called Love.
That only the drowning man can cross.
Love awaits you at the bottom.
And all the joy you've ever lost.
I'm writing poetry at a party,
I'm sinking without a sound.
I could have changed the world.
I'm smiling all the way down.
Gone is my peace of mind.
Broken lies my rhyme
Keep this heart with you.
It'll beat for no one else.
Whatever I may do.

2 comments:

  1. Bittersweet and beautifully written,like all your work.And Nina Simone blessed jazz like nobody else.

    ReplyDelete