Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pilgrim (tip of the hat to Eric Clapton)

Twenty eight years I've been walking,
Searching for my version of a sign.
I've been living in unquiet days,
Ever since the winter of ninety-nine.
Fourteen years I've been walking,
Alone through every crowded mile.
Went on and wasted all these years.
Learned nothing, not even an honest smile.
I thought I was heading for the river,
When I saw you kneeling upon the shore.
I thought I knew it all already,
Then Love showed me some more.
One year I've been drowning,
In the depthless waters of your gaze.
I've been a searcher for something higher,
To learn why the preacher prays.
I've found all of my answers,
Scattered in the shadow of your tears.
I've lit candles in all the shadows,
In the stairways under my fears.
My thoughts walk towards you tonight.
I'm a pilgrim for your love.
Your the light, the rain, the morning sun,
Everything that comes down from above.


My darling girl, my summer light,
My deepest sigh on a winter's night.
I sit here, a thousand miles from home,
For home is wrapped around,
Where you sit alone.

3 comments: