Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Anniversary

It's been one of those years.
More Blue than gold.
The Sun's been shining
But everyone's still cold
Another year in this city,
Beside this ragged Sea.
Drowning in the filth,
The rain, the inhumanity.
This city gets under your skin
It likes to watch you crawl.
Everything is for sale here,
You're forced to sell it all.
There are punchlines all around,
It's the jokes no one knows.
Take me away from here,
To where the Great River flows,
Back to the Mountain top.
Where the Moon first met the sky
Where Dervishes learnt to dance
With their souls sent up so high.

Here we stare out our windows
Waiting for the phones to ring.
Full of a hundred songs,
That no one will ever sing.
We give it all too cheaply,
All the laughter in our souls,
Then stumble around smiling
Over empty begging bowls
We are a war that shall be fought.
In a land not worth the blood.
We are humanity as it had become
Before Noah and his flood.
Our gods are fallen angels,
Our loves imperfect and tainted.
We eat each other's souls in the open,
We allow sinners to be sainted.
So tired in the nighttime
So weary through the day.
We're on trial for murder here,
And we can't seem to get a say.

But there is magic here,
There remains yet some Grace.
I see a greater Love than God's,
In the wrinkles across your face.
Every night this city breaks me.
Every night you pour me tea.
You sing to me, you hold my breath,
Mend the shattered bits of me.
We're stranded here at the edge,
Of this ragged little sea.
The rain only adds to the filth,
And mercy drowns in humanity.
But I hear you laugh
As you run through my door.
And collapse in your lucid love,
Like a man begging "No more".
I love your petulant whimper
When I rise from your bed.
I've found your gaze nestled,
In every poem I've ever read.

That you exist is proof enough,
There is a Goddess watching over me.
You're the Book she wrote for us,
Happy Anniversary.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I was away for a while but when I returned here's a treat awaiting me :) thanks Arunji for this amazing poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God I feel like a retard Arunji... I posted last on October 4th... mind is so stressed out that nothing is coming to me... I come to your blog to read and be inspired... I'm inspired 100% but still not able to write :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. masterpiece... words are too few and my knowledge too scarce to appreciate it but it has in all its truth touched the depths of my drowsy soul.thank you for writing these lines and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do us all a favour and publish your work.So that we may enjoy it over a cup of(dare I say)coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for reading. It means the whole world to me

    ReplyDelete