Monday, October 24, 2011

Manhattan Lullaby



Oh take me home this evening.
And heal me with your touch.
Wipe my mind free of thoughts,
Of her, her smile as she left, and such.

You see she broke my heart,
Right down to the original dust.
She ground it down so slowly,
Between her tenderness and lust.

Leonard Cohen's voice follows me,
As I wander Central Park.
I should have stayed away from her.
Been smart right from the start.

Even after finally returning,
To a beloved New York street.
I find myself waiting on every corner,
To hear the sounds of her feet.

Ah, forgive me.  Where are my manners?
I know it's frightfully rude.
To speak of another who doesn't want me,
While we're picturing each other in the nude.

So patiently you've been listening to me.
And been so generous with your smile.
Let's finish this whiskey together,
Let's be worth each other's while.

I promise I'll never say I love you.
I've been told my love's a lie.
So take me home this evening,
And sing me a Manhattan lullaby,

2 comments:

  1. "As I wander Central Park.
    I should have stayed away from her..."

    It's always too late, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. read this while i was shooting and now reread it- bloodddyyyy good :)

    ReplyDelete