Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's 4 a.m. and New York won't let me Sleep


I lay upon the floor,
Under an open window.
And the chill of the autumn
Came in to share my bed.
We lay together in silence,
Listening to the clamor outside.
Twice the sirens wailed,
As trouble walked the streets.
A pimp slapped a woman,
She implored and begged,
Then cursed as he walked away.
Her heels beat their weary beat,
Down my still busy street.
Somewhere in this building
I heard old lovers quarrel.
Somewhere in this building,
I hoped new lovers found love.
I stroked the calluses on my feet,
And smiled at the memory
Of every step I had taken.
The air grew colder,
So I threw off the blanket.
Casting off the memory
Of Bombay and her violent sun.
 I remembered a song,
"Sorrow found me when I was young,
Sorrow stayed, sorrow won."
But it's hard to feel sorrow,
With Autumn giggling,
At the same old jokes.
And New York City, my love,
Standing vigil outside the window.
She leaned in and smiled.  And said
She had seen the things I had done
Since I was made to walk away.
She heard my stories,
She wiped away my cares.
She traced her fingers across
The scars on my soul.
And she told me she was proud.
Some roads she said,
You cannot walk without,
Paying the toll.
And she stroked my brow,
Like you used to.
And she called me the name,
That you used to.
And she told me to forget,
But I still missed you.

3 comments:

  1. Goddess bless you and that musing heart of yours... such words turn your grey a shade lighter... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, we miss those whom we don't want to miss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and another good one, though the simpler ones seem to be vanishing...catch them before theyre gone :)

    ReplyDelete