Friday, November 6, 2009

The Silence of Us

There are silences within us
We, who reflect only moonlight.
Silences they cannot drown
Or wash with television,
Silences that never whisper
Music that never stops.
I do not remember
My dreams.

I search the faces,
For the bright ones,
With eyes like drops of nectar.
We gather the sheets, and
Whisper “Good night,”
to empty beds.
Linger with the shattered
Things, and whimpered dreams.
Away from the silence.

This begins with guarded smiles
Safe distances, excuses wrapped
In Hookah smoke and Turkish coffee,
And two perfect cups of lemonade
Wearing matching smiles.
Words dancing to her voice.
Fingers weaving around each other
Like dragonflies in the sun
I take her eyes in mine
And forget to look away.

A song sung by this woman of quiet,
Distant places, and desert suns.
And hair that curls and flows
Like the pen of an Arabian poet.
A woman deeper than all of this,
A sound vanishing beyond itself

She sprinkles me across her sky.
Jasmine dreams in a secret garden.She gives me the wordsI told my ears to forget.
A prayer calling its priest,
As I take her in my arms,
And welcome her home.

4 comments:

  1. Very well-written. I could so identify with it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all have silences running inside

    &sometimes when v would look at those empty walls those silences inside would push me,would scream at me
    &sometimes while walking through those buzy streets some happy buzzing silence would make smile..

    i loved this one totally.
    ur quite an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could sprinkle some of there verses across the sky. So that all starry souls could read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohini my darling. You say the sweetest things to this poet. Your comments make this man proud of the words he struggles with. thank you for the continued support.

      Delete